Errors in installing 'lwt'
Helmut Brandl
2014-10-20 13:59:26 UTC
Hello,

I am trying to install 'js_of_ocaml' with 'opam' and run into some
problems. It seems that the ocaml compile cannot compile the 'lwt' package.

$opam list
Installed packages for system:
base-unix base Unix library distributed with the OCaml compiler
camlp4 4.02.0+system Camlp4 is a system for writing extensible
parsers for programming languages
cmdliner 0.9.5 Declarative definition of command line
interfaces for OCaml
menhir 20140422 LR(1) parser generator
ocamlfind 1.5.3 A library manager for OCaml
ppx_tools 0.99.1 Tools for authors of ppx rewriters and other
syntactic tools

opam install js_of_ocaml
The following actions will be performed:
- install lwt.2.4.6 [required by js_of_ocaml]
- install js_of_ocaml.2.5
2 to install | 0 to reinstall | 0 to upgrade | 0 to downgrade | 0 to remove
Do you want to continue ? [Y/n]

=-=-= Installing lwt.2.4.6 =-=-=
Building lwt.2.4.6:
./configure --prefix /home/helmut/.opam/system --disable-libev
--disable-react --disable-ssl --enable-unix --enable-extra
--disable-preemptive --disable-glib --enable-ppx
make build
make install
[ERROR] The compilation of lwt.2.4.6 failed.
Removing lwt.2.4.6.
ocamlfind remove lwt

[ERROR] Due to some errors while processing lwt.2.4.6, the following
actions will NOT proceed:
- install js_of_ocaml.2.5

===== ERROR while installing lwt.2.4.6 =====
# opam-version 1.1.1
# os linux
# command ./configure --prefix /home/helmut/.opam/system
--disable-libev --disable-react --disable-ssl --enable-unix
--enable-extra --disable-preemptive --disable-glib --enable-ppx
# path /home/helmut/.opam/system/build/lwt.2.4.6
# compiler system (4.02.0)
# exit-code 1
# env-file /home/helmut/.opam/system/build/lwt.2.4.6/lwt-25223-ffb3fd.env
# stdout-file /home/helmut/.opam/system/build/lwt.2.4.6/lwt-25223-ffb3fd.out
# stderr-file /home/helmut/.opam/system/build/lwt.2.4.6/lwt-25223-ffb3fd.err
### stderr ###
# ...[truncated]
# W: Failure("Command ''/home/helmut/.opam/system/bin/ocamlfind' query
-format %d camlp4 > '/tmp/oasis-c39eab.txt'' terminated with error code 2")
# ocamlfind: Package `camlp4' not found
# W: Failure("Command ''/home/helmut/.opam/system/bin/ocamlfind' query
-format %d camlp4 > '/tmp/oasis-5e24a6.txt'' terminated with error code 2")
# ocamlfind: Package `camlp4.quotations.o' not found
# W: Failure("Command ''/home/helmut/.opam/system/bin/ocamlfind' query
-format %d camlp4.quotations.o > '/tmp/oasis-f94904.txt'' terminated
with error code 2")
# E: Cannot find buildable internal library 'lwt-preemptive' when
checking build depends
# E: Cannot find findlib package camlp4
# E: Cannot find findlib package camlp4.extend
# E: Cannot find findlib package camlp4.quotations.o
# E: Failure("4 configuration errors")

'opam install js_of_ocaml' failed.

Can anybody help (or if this list is not the right location to ask can
you redirect me)?

Thanks in advance
Helmut
Török Edwin
2014-10-20 14:14:39 UTC
Post by Helmut Brandl
Hello,
I am trying to install 'js_of_ocaml' with 'opam' and run into some problems. It seems that the ocaml compile cannot compile the 'lwt' package.
$opam list
base-unix base Unix library distributed with the OCaml compiler
camlp4 4.02.0+system Camlp4 is a system for writing extensible parsers for programming languages
Which Linux distribution are you using, and where did you get the packages from?
Do you have both the camlp4 executable and the camlp4 libraries installed (in case they are in separate packages)?
Post by Helmut Brandl
# W: Failure("Command ''/home/helmut/.opam/system/bin/ocamlfind' query -format %d camlp4 > '/tmp/oasis-c39eab.txt'' terminated with error code 2")
# ocamlfind: Package `camlp4' not found
# W: Failure("Command ''/home/helmut/.opam/system/bin/ocamlfind' query -format %d camlp4 > '/tmp/oasis-5e24a6.txt'' terminated with error code 2")
# ocamlfind: Package `camlp4.quotations.o' not found
# W: Failure("Command ''/home/helmut/.opam/system/bin/ocamlfind' query -format %d camlp4.quotations.o > '/tmp/oasis-f94904.txt'' terminated with error code 2")
# E: Cannot find buildable internal library 'lwt-preemptive' when checking build depends
# E: Cannot find findlib package camlp4
# E: Cannot find findlib package camlp4.extend
# E: Cannot find findlib package camlp4.quotations.o
What is the output of:
ocamlfind list|grep camlp4

Did you install ocamlfind before or after you installed camlp4?

Best regards,
--Edwin
2014-10-20 15:06:40 UTC
I don't know which one I installed first.

The output of 'ocamlfind list | grep camlp4' is empty. 'camlp4' is not in the
list. However opam installed it successfully.

I am working on linux distributed by archlinux.
Török Edwin
2014-10-20 16:21:02 UTC
Post by h***@gmx.net
I don't know which one I installed first.
The output of 'ocamlfind list | grep camlp4' is empty. 'camlp4' is not in the
list. However opam installed it successfully.
I am working on linux distributed by archlinux.
Try 'opam reinstall ocamlfind' (on the system switch).

--Edwin
Helmut Brandl
2014-10-20 16:37:27 UTC
Thanks a lot Edwin,

after the reinstallation of 'ocamlfind' everythink worked fine. I have
now 'lwt' and 'js_of_ocaml' successfully installed on the system switch.

I gues it does not make sense to have the opam switch of 4.01 any
longer. I will probably remove it since it consumes a lot of space on
the harddisk.

Regards
Helmut
Török Edwin
2014-10-20 17:59:44 UTC
Post by Helmut Brandl
Thanks a lot Edwin,
after the reinstallation of 'ocamlfind' everythink worked fine. I have now 'lwt' and 'js_of_ocaml' successfully installed on the system switch.
Thanks, I was able to create a testcase and I opened an issue about improving the camlp4+system package here:
https://github.com/ocaml/opam-repository/issues/2900

Best regards,
--Edwin
Nicolas Boulay
2014-10-21 08:18:59 UTC
Does a dependancies on the version of opam it-self exist ? Does a one year
old opam binaries could do the job ? (mageia 4)
--
https://sympa.inria.fr/sympa/arc/caml-list
Nicolas Boulay
2014-10-21 20:55:21 UTC
it works, but it seems that there is no dependancies checking on c library
like zlib, ssl, sqllite,...

Those "devel" library should be installed by "hand" or does i miss
something ? Is there a way to find all external dependancies list ?
try and see
Török Edwin
2014-10-21 21:25:43 UTC
it works, but it seems that there is no dependancies checking on c library like zlib, ssl, sqllite,...
Those "devel" library should be installed by "hand" or does i miss something ? Is there a way to find all external dependancies list ?
'opam install -e debian <package>' should print a list of all external dependencies to install on Debian.
You can try other distro instead of Debian, but not all opam packages have entries for all distributions.

Best regards,
--Edwin
Helmut Brandl
2014-10-20 14:44:00 UTC
Does not work either. 'opam' reinstalls 'camlp4' without any problems
but then fails installing 'lwt'.
opam reinstall camlp4
opam install js_of_ocaml
I have tried this already. If I try to install 'camlp4' I just get the
message that 'camlp4' is already installed.
My stupid suggestion
opam install camlp4
opam install js_of_ocaml
John Whitington
2014-10-20 14:50:20 UTC
Post by Helmut Brandl
Does not work either. 'opam' reinstalls 'camlp4' without any problems
but then fails installing 'lwt'.
You haven't mentioned what platform you're using. There's a known issue
on OS X with 2.4.6, for example:

https://github.com/ocsigen/lwt/issues/91

Thanks,
--
John Whitington
Director, Coherent Graphics Ltd
Helmut Brandl
2014-10-20 14:56:41 UTC
My platform is the 32bit version of the archlinux distribution on x86. I
have got the ocaml base installation and opam via the distribution and
tried to install packages via 'opam install ...'.

Everything went fine until 'opam' tried to install 'lwt'.
Post by John Whitington
Hi,
Helmut Brandl
2014-10-20 15:03:14 UTC
I am puzzled by a comment from Török. I tried

$ocamlfind list
bigarray (version: [distributed with Ocaml])
bytes (version: [distributed with OCaml 4.02 or above])
cmdliner (version: 0.9.5)
compiler-libs (version: [distributed with Ocaml])
compiler-libs.bytecomp (version: [distributed with Ocaml])
compiler-libs.common (version: [distributed with Ocaml])
compiler-libs.optcomp (version: [distributed with Ocaml])
compiler-libs.toplevel (version: [distributed with Ocaml])
dynlink (version: [distributed with Ocaml])
findlib (version: 1.5.3)
graphics (version: [distributed with Ocaml])
menhirLib (version: 20140422)
num (version: [distributed with Ocaml])
num-top (version: 1.5.3)
num.core (version: [internal])
ocamlbuild (version: [distributed with Ocaml])
ppx_tools (version: 0.99)
ppx_tools.metaquot (version: 0.99)
stdlib (version: [distributed with Ocaml])
str (version: [distributed with Ocaml])
threads (version: [distributed with Ocaml])
threads.posix (version: [internal])
threads.vm (version: [internal])
unix (version: [distributed with Ocaml])

There is no 'camlp4' in this list despite the fact that 'opam' installed
it without any problems.
Francois Berenger
2014-10-20 15:08:56 UTC
As a workaround, I would recommend having a fresh ocaml installed by opam.

It always work nicer in this way, in my experience (I use the ocaml
installed by opam switching, not the one installed system-wide).
Post by Helmut Brandl
My platform is the 32bit version of the archlinux distribution on x86. I
have got the ocaml base installation and opam via the distribution and
tried to install packages via 'opam install ...'.
Everything went fine until 'opam' tried to install 'lwt'.
Post by John Whitington
Hi,
Post by Helmut Brandl
Does not work either. 'opam' reinstalls 'camlp4' without any problems
but then fails installing 'lwt'.
You haven't mentioned what platform you're using. There's a known
https://github.com/ocsigen/lwt/issues/91
Thanks,
--
Regards,
Francois.
Helmut Brandl
2014-10-20 15:19:17 UTC
How do I install ocaml by opam? The command 'opam install ocaml' does
not work.

What is the difference? My ocaml system works fine and I don't want to
compromise it because I need it. Can 2 versions of ocaml coexist without
any interference?
Post by Helmut Brandl
My platform is the 32bit version of the archlinux distribution on x86. I
have got the ocaml base installation and opam via the distribution and
tried to install packages via 'opam install ...'.
Everything went fine until 'opam' tried to install 'lwt'.
Post by John Whitington
Hi,
Francois Berenger
2014-10-20 15:25:50 UTC
Post by Helmut Brandl
How do I install ocaml by opam? The command 'opam install ocaml' does
not work.
opam switch 4.01.0 # just an example version
eval `opam config env` # use it
opam install lwt # your initial goal
Post by Helmut Brandl
What is the difference? My ocaml system works fine and I don't want to
compromise it because I need it.
It won't be compromised in any way, opam will just ignore it.
Post by Helmut Brandl
Can 2 versions of ocaml coexist without any interference?
That's one of the many goals of OPAM, I believe.
OPAM's switch command allows you to "jump" between ocaml versions.
Post by Helmut Brandl
My platform is the 32bit version of the archlinux distribution on x86. I
have got the ocaml base installation and opam via the distribution and
tried to install packages via 'opam install ...'.
Everything went fine until 'opam' tried to install 'lwt'.
Post by John Whitington
Hi,
Helmut Brandl
2014-10-20 16:24:10 UTC
Thanks for the hint Francois. The command sequence you proposed worked
successfully.

However can you explain to me what I have now. I think I have now two
versions of the ocaml compiler installed, one system wide (4.02.0) and
one installed by opam (4.01.0).

If I use a fresh shell I still get version 4.02 until I issue the 'eval'
command to get the new paths. If I try to switch back to 4.02 opam tries
to install 4.02 from scratch, i.e. it does not use the system installation.

Is there any possibility to switch back to the system installation in
the same shell or do I need to use a fresh shell?

I still feel uncomfortable because I don't know why the installation of
'lwt' fails with my system installation of ocaml.

Regards
Helmut
Post by Helmut Brandl
My platform is the 32bit version of the archlinux distribution on x86. I
have got the ocaml base installation and opam via the distribution and
tried to install packages via 'opam install ...'.
Everything went fine until 'opam' tried to install 'lwt'.
Post by John Whitington
Hi,
Marek Kubica
2014-10-20 16:50:28 UTC
On Mon, 20 Oct 2014 11:24:10 -0500
Post by Helmut Brandl
However can you explain to me what I have now. I think I have now two
versions of the ocaml compiler installed, one system wide (4.02.0)
and one installed by opam (4.01.0).
Why 4.01.0? You could run 4.02.1 from OPAM, that has some nice
features :-)
Post by Helmut Brandl
Is there any possibility to switch back to the system installation in
the same shell or do I need to use a fresh shell?
opam switch system

And then do the eval-dance :-)
Post by Helmut Brandl
I still feel uncomfortable because I don't know why the installation
of 'lwt' fails with my system installation of ocaml.
Im my experience, the Arch Linux ocaml/camlp4 packages are busted, I
filed a bug but nothing happened:
<https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/41907?dev=162>

(Also, keep in mind to switch to the system compiler when building
packages from AUR, because having the OPAM compiler in the path messes
things up).

regards,
Marek
Daniel Bünzli
2014-10-20 15:30:07 UTC
Post by Helmut Brandl
How do I install ocaml by opam? The command 'opam install ocaml' does
not work.
opam switch --help
Post by Helmut Brandl
What is the difference?
This will install an OCaml compiler from scratch in your .opam directory.
Post by Helmut Brandl
My ocaml system works fine and I don't want to
compromise it because I need it.
This won't compromise your system compiler.
Post by Helmut Brandl
Can 2 versions of ocaml coexist without
any interference?
With opam yes. See here http://opam.ocaml.org/doc/1.2/Usage.html#opamswitch