4.02.1 toplevel hang
Stanislav Artemkin
2014-10-21 09:48:34 UTC
Hello,

I'm still experiencing problems with toplevel hangs in 4.02 (it seems it is
not fixed in 4.02.1).

I use utop with .ocamlinit (pretty similar to
http://janestreet.github.io/installation.html), but it is not related to
utop. Something wrong with camlp4.

The minimal steps to reproduce:

$ ocaml
OCaml version 4.02.1

# #load "dynlink.cma";;
# #load "camlp4o.cma";;
Camlp4 Parsing version 4.02.1

# #quit;;

... HANG...

I see this on Linux and Mac OS X.

Is there any workaround for this? I can't switch to 4.02 due to this issue.

Thanks
Peter Zotov
2014-10-21 09:56:19 UTC
http://janestreet.github.io/installation.html [1]), but it is not
related to utop. Something wrong with camlp4.
$ ocaml
OCaml version 4.02.1
# #load "dynlink.cma";;
# #load "camlp4o.cma";;
Camlp4 Parsing version 4.02.1
# #quit;;
... HANG...
I see this on Linux and Mac OS X.
Is there any workaround for this? I can't switch to 4.02 due to this issue.
Yes. Use utop. (You need to use "#camlp4o;;" to set the syntax in it.)
--
Peter Zotov
Peter Zotov
2014-10-21 10:05:09 UTC
Post by Stanislav Artemkin
Hello,
I'm still experiencing problems with toplevel hangs in 4.02 (it seems
it is not fixed in 4.02.1).
I use utop with .ocamlinit (pretty similar to
http://janestreet.github.io/installation.html [1]), but it is not
related to utop. Something wrong with camlp4.
$ ocaml
OCaml version 4.02.1
# #load "dynlink.cma";;
# #load "camlp4o.cma";;
Camlp4 Parsing version 4.02.1
# #quit;;
... HANG...
I see this on Linux and Mac OS X.
Is there any workaround for this? I can't switch to 4.02 due to this issue.
Sorry, I should have been more clear. This is indeed a camlp4 issue.
If you switch to utop, then you will be able to do almost everything.
However, #quit;; specifically seems to still lead to this "hang"
(which is actually not a hang, it's just that the toplevel stops
interpreting ;; as the end of phrase, both for regular toplevel
and utop).
--
Peter Zotov
Fabrice Le Fessant
2014-10-21 10:06:39 UTC
This is already referenced here, no ?

https://github.com/ocaml/camlp4/issues/48

--Fabrice
Post by Stanislav Artemkin
Hello,
I'm still experiencing problems with toplevel hangs in 4.02 (it seems it is
not fixed in 4.02.1).
I use utop with .ocamlinit (pretty similar to
http://janestreet.github.io/installation.html), but it is not related to
utop. Something wrong with camlp4.
$ ocaml
OCaml version 4.02.1
# #load "dynlink.cma";;
# #load "camlp4o.cma";;
Camlp4 Parsing version 4.02.1
# #quit;;
... HANG...
I see this on Linux and Mac OS X.
Is there any workaround for this? I can't switch to 4.02 due to this issue.
Thanks
--
Fabrice LE FESSANT
Chercheur en Informatique
INRIA Paris Rocquencourt -- OCamlPro
Programming Languages and Distributed Systems
Stanislav Artemkin
2014-10-21 10:11:41 UTC
Yes, this is exactly the same. I thought it is addressed already.

It seems Utop and Ctrl-Z kill %1 is still the way to go.

Thanks

Post by Stanislav Artemkin
not fixed in 4.02.1).
I use utop with .ocamlinit (pretty similar to
http://janestreet.github.io/installation.html), but it is not related to
utop. Something wrong with camlp4.
$ ocaml
OCaml version 4.02.1
# #load "dynlink.cma";;
# #load "camlp4o.cma";;
Camlp4 Parsing version 4.02.1
# #quit;;
... HANG...
I see this on Linux and Mac OS X.
Is there any workaround for this? I can't switch to 4.02 due to this
issue.
Post by Stanislav Artemkin
Thanks
Jeremie Dimino